There are no hard-and-fast rules about whether to freeze pound cake. Many people have frozen their pound cakes and had good experiences after thawing the frozen pound cake and making ice cream.
Others have tried freezing the pound cake and found that it didn’t hold together well once defrosted or wasn’t as flavorful once thawed.
Can You Freeze Pound Cake
You can freeze pound cake if you want. You probably won’t be entertained by it for a second time, but it’s an option. It is not advised.
Pound cake is not the type of dessert that should be stored in the freezer for an extended period. If you would like to try freezing your pound cake for future use,
wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and put it in the freezer. Thaw the frozen pound cake overnight in the refrigerator.
How Long Can You Freeze Pound Cake?
Generally, pound cake freezes well for two to four months. The longer the pound cake is frozen, the less likely it will be that you will be able to enjoy it for a second time.
Pound cake thaws out quickly enough when defrosted, but it tends to lose its delicate texture and can become dry once thawed.
How To Freeze Pound Cake?
1. If the pound cake has a top crust, remove it and discard it.
2. Wrap the frozen pound cake tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, or place it in a heavy-duty freezer bag.
3. Put the frozen pound cake in the freezer.
4. Once the pound cake has been frozen, thaw it at room temperature for 30 minutes.
5. If you defrost a frozen cake, do not thaw it in the refrigerator! Instead, loosen the pound cake by pressing on it with your hand or a flat object; then remove it from the plastic wrap or foil and let it stand at room temperature (without turning on its side) for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
6. If you are defrosting a frozen pound cake in the microwave, remove the plastic wrap or foil and cook on high in 5- to 10-second intervals, checking for done-ness each time until the pound cake is fully thawed.
Can You Refreeze Pound Cake?
No. This is not recommended. Once you have thawed the pound cake, you do not want to refreeze it or refreeze the pound cake after it has been defrosted once.
Can You Freeze A Baked Pound Cake?
Yes, you can freeze a baked pound cake. You’ll need to freeze the cake for at least 6 months. Ensure the dessert is wrapped adequately and put it in heavy-duty freezer bags or aluminum foil.
If you freeze a frozen pound cake, thaw it at room temperature before serving.
How Long Will Pound Cake Stay Fresh?
For best results, pound cake should be consumed on the same day it is baked. If you plan to freeze it, wrap it in plastic and aluminum foil, then put it in a freezer bag.
If you keep the pound cake frozen for more than 6 months, you will need to defrost the cake in the refrigerator before serving.
During many frozen pound cakes, you should consider thawing the frozen cake before serving. Also, if you are planning to freeze a baked pound cake for longer than 6 months, make sure to defrost the pound cake in the refrigerator before serving.