Aunty donna sorrel cake recipe is a lovely soft and rich cake made from all-purpose flour, eggs, dark rum, vanilla extract, and brown sugar.
It’s delicious and served with a dollop of whipped cream, custard, or ice cream. This cake is so deliciously moist because of the melted butter and dark rum.
How To Prepare Aunty Donna Sorrel Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serving Size: 8
- Mixing bowl,
- Baking dish
- 1/2 cup(1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sorrel
- Soaked in 2 tablespoons of rum
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 F(180 C). Line a 9-inch (23 cm) round baking dish with aluminum foil and grease with oil.
Step 2: Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in the flour, rum, molasses, and baking soda and beat until blended. Stir in the sorrel.
Step 3: Pour into the prepared dish and bake for 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
Step 4: Remove the cake from the oven and run a knife around the inside edge.
Step 5: Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove the cake from the dish and set it on a serving platter. Pour the rum you used to soak the sorrel into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Let simmer for 7 minutes or until reduced by half, then strain.
Step 6: Whisk the molasses with the reduced rum. Drizzle over the cake and serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts Of Aunty Donna Sorrel Cake Recipe
Best 7 Healthy Nutrition Benefits Of Aunty Donna Sorrel Cake Recipe
Sorrel is a great source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, iron, magnesium, calcium, and potassium.
Aunty donna sorrel cake recipe contains 0.9 grams of protein per 100 grams, an excellent protein source for vegetarians. It also contains all the essential amino acids and the non-essential ones in good quantity. This helps in building muscles and maintaining good health.
Sorrel contains a high amount of fiber, which aids in digestion. Aunty donna sorrel cake recipe contains 0.7 grams of fiber per 100 grams and is very rich in this nutrient.
Aunty donna sorrel cake recipe contains 0mg of cholesterol per 100 grams serving and is therefore low in cholesterol. This helps to prevent cardiovascular diseases and strokes, which are caused due to high intake of cholesterol in our daily diet.
Sorrel contains a high amount of carbohydrates, which help restore and maintain energy levels. It also increases endurance levels during workouts and sports.
Sorrel contains 0.7 grams of fat per 100 grams serving, which is not very high compared to other foods containing fat. But it is also not very low, leaving room for healthy consumption, and consumption above the guidelines should be avoided.
If you are on a low sodium diet, you should avoid the Aunty donna sorrel cake recipe as it contains 5mg per 100 grams. But otherwise, it is not a high-salt food and is safe for consumption.
Is It Safe For Diabetics Patients?
Aunty donna sorrel cake recipe is not safe for diabetics patients as it contains 5mg of sodium per 100 grams serving and is therefore high in sodium, which may increase the risk of developing high blood pressure and fluid retention.
Is Aunty Donna Sorrel Cake Recipe Healthy?
Aunty donna sorrel cake recipe is unhealthy as we do not consume food rich in fat, cholesterol, and sodium.
These components are not good for health and should be avoided by people suffering from heart, kidney, diabetes, and pregnancy problems.
How To Serve Of Aunty Donna Sorrel Cake Recipe?
1. You can serve aunty donna sorrel cake recipes with a glass of milk or a cup of black coffee.
2. The most popular way to eat this cake is by serving it with cream and sugar syrup on the top. Another option is to serve it with whipped cream on the side and sprinkle some cocoa powder if you like.
3. You can also serve aunty donna sorrel cake recipe with sliced bananas on the side.
4. Aunty donna sorrel cake recipe is best served warm and at room temperature. If you serve this cake at a party, you may add some fresh fruits to it like strawberries or peaches, kiwi, and others. This will enhance its taste and appearance.
5. You can also serve aunty donna sorrel cake recipe as a dessert after a meal or have it for afternoon tea or the main course for breakfast.
6. Aunty donna sorrel cake recipe is also good to serve at parties when serving different kinds of cakes on your guest’s plate.
Can You Freeze Aunty Donna Sorrel Cake Recipe?
You can store the aunty donna sorrel cake recipe in airtight containers and refrigerate it for up to 11 days.
This cake can also be frozen for at least two months and should be consumed within this period once defrosted.
How To Freeze Aunty Donna Sorrel Cake Recipe?
1. Firstly, let the sorrel cake cool to room temperature. Then wrap it well in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place it in a large freezer bag.
2. Make sure you squeeze out as much air as possible and seal the bag well.
3. Keep this cake in a freezer for at least two months and consume it within this period.
4. Thaw in refrigerator for 24 hours before consuming.
5. You can freeze the aunty donna sorrel cake recipe without changing the taste and texture.
6. Aunty donna sorrel cake recipe can also be used for making brown ice cream.
7. Aunty donna sorrel cake recipe also be used to make chutney, which can be stored in the refrigerator and consumed later.
8. If this cake is frozen into slices, then freeze small portions in airtight containers.
9. Sorrel cake can also be frozen without changing taste and texture, but it will become very hard after it has been frozen and thawed in the refrigerator.
Aunty donna sorrel cake recipe is a traditional dish that has been enjoyed for centuries by many Jamaicans.
It is usually made from ground sorrel leaves, eggs, sugar, and flour. After drying the sorrel, the stems and veins are removed so that it becomes easier to grind.