This bakery cake is straightforward yet delicious. The vanilla crumb cake recipe is made of eggs and sugar, while the cake is moist enough to make all your friends say, “Wow, this tastes so good.
With this cake, you can enjoy a few pieces to satisfy your sweet tooth and not worry about ruining the whole batch. You can also serve this cake with a cup of coffee, making you enjoy the warm fall season even more.
How To Prepare vanilla crumb cake recipe?
Preparation Time: 40 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- Baking tray,
- 8 x 8-inch square pan,
- mixing bowl,
- wooden spoon
- 2 cup cake flour (180g)
- 1¼ cup butter (250g)
- 1¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (6g)
- 3 egg yolks (75g)
- ½ cup sugar (150g)
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder (19.12g)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg white
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch square pan with butter, line it with parchment paper, and grease again. Set aside.
2. Beat the white of 1 egg with a whisk for about 2 minutes to make a fluffier mixture. Place in a mixing bowl, and set aside to rest.
3. In a separate bowl, sift flour and baking powder and add sugar until fine particles are formed (about 1 minute).
4. Place butter in a saucepan and heat until melted.
5. Add egg yolks, vanilla extract, and milk until the mixture becomes smooth (about 2-3 minutes).
6. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients with a wooden spoon until they are well combined and you have a batter (about 2 minutes).
7. Add the egg white slowly but thoroughly into the batter, ensuring there are no traces of white strands when you finish mixing (about 2-3 minutes).
8. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place a layer of parchment paper on top and evenly spread it (about 1-2 minutes).
9. Bake cake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (except for crumbs left on the parchment paper).
10. After cooling down, lift out using the parchment paper and carefully peel off layers and break into pieces before serving.
- Calories: 381
- Total Fat: 20.3g
- Saturated Fat: 10.7g
- Cholesterol: 90mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 33.3g
- Sugars: 6.2g
- Protein: 3.
What Is The Difference Between Coffee Cake And Crumb Cake?
1. The batter consists of a large amount of flour and eggs, making the whole cake denser and moister than crumbs.
2. Baking time is usually shorter in coffee cakes, which makes them easier to serve.
3. Coffee cakes are usually made in smaller portions and served warmly with a cup of coffee or tea.
1. The batter is less in amount than coffee cake (about 1/3 of flour), making it less dense and less moist than coffee cake.
2. The portion of crumb cake is usually large and can be served cold or warm but never hot with a cup of coffee or tea.
3. Crumb cakes are usually more complex and crumbly in texture than coffee cakes, making them easier to serve, carry, and store.
How Do You Make Crumb Batter?
1. Beat the egg white until it is foamy, making turning the crumb cake mix into a crumb easier.
2. Mix butter and sugar until well blended. This step is important because the sugar will be integrated into the butter, making it hard to incorporate into the batter later.
3. Add egg yolk and vanilla extract to the butter-sugar mixture and stir for about 2 minutes until you get a smooth texture.
4. Add milk and flour alternately, making the whole batter smooth and soft.
5. When mixing flour and milk, do not overmix, or it will form lumps in your crumb batter.
6. Grease a baking pan with butter before placing a layer of parchment paper on top, and then pour the batter equally into the pan.
7. Make holes regularly on top of the batter with a fork so air can escape while baking.
8. Bake crumb cake at 350°F (180°C) for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Turn off the oven after baking and let the cake cool down.
Do You Need Flour To Crumb?
No. You do not need flour at all to crumb. The crumb cake will be heavy and dense without any flour. However, If you want, add some flour (1/2 cup) so that the crumb cake is light and fluffy.
How Does Crumb Cake Taste?
Crumb cakes are usually sweeter than coffee cakes because no sugar is added to the batter. If you add sugar, it will make your coffee cake taste much more like a coffee cake rather than a crumb cake.
Can You Use Milk Instead Of Egg To Crumb?
Yes. You can use milk instead of egg to crumb. And if you find the batter too thick, you can add some milk until the right consistency.
How Do You Know When Crumb Cake Is Made?
You can check if your crumb cake is made by inserting a toothpick into the center and then gently shaking it.
If you feel that the toothpick is loose and fudgy, your crumb cake is not yet done because there are still some pockets of uncooked egg in the middle of the cake.
If there are no pockets, your crumb cake has finished baking.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and that it will make you feel the sweetness of the fall season. It is a great comfort food, and everybody looks forward to a hot cup of coffee in the morning.
You can also serve crumb cakes with a cup of tea or coffee, making your meal more enjoyable.