This black forest cake recipe Masterchef is a dense chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling, and a cherry and almond dusted top. It’s an easy recipe with delicious results, even though it looks complicated.
The black forest cake is a German fruit-filled chocolate brownie cake with cherries and maraschino cherries on top.
After World War II, the recipe was no longer sold in the former German states of Bavaria and Württemberg,
though it was still being served in restaurants in Austria (where it’s known as Schwarzwälder Kirschkuchen).
In 1949, The German Black Forest Society (BDH) began to promote the use of natural berries and cherries as ingredients.
How To Prepare Black Forest Cake Recipe Masterchef?
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 50 Minutes
Serving Size: 10
- Pyrex baking dish,
- oven-proof baking pan,
- 1 cup measuring glass,
- wooden spoon,
- circular kitchen spoon,
- One large mixing bowl.
Ingredients Black Forest Cake Recipe Masterchef:
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- One teaspoon of baking powder
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Four eggs
- One teaspoon of vanilla extract (Easy Homemade Vanilla Extract)
- One teaspoon of espresso powder (sugar and coffee ground in mortar)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup black cherries, pitted and halved
For the chocolate filling:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup half-and-half, cold
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled.
- Three tablespoons unsalted butter softened
Making Method Black Forest Cake Recipe Masterchef:
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a round (9-inch) baking pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. This prevents the cake from sticking and makes it easier to get out of the pan after baking.
Step 2: Take a 1-cup measuring glass and sift flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder into it. Set aside.
Step 3: Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla extract and espresso powder.
Step 4: Gradually add the sifted ingredients to the butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Do not over-mix, or else it will have a tough texture.
Step 5: Spread batter in the prepared pan. Arrange cherries on top of the batter, pressing lightly into the batter.
Step 6: Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cake is puffed and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan.
Step 7: Invert onto the serving plate and pull off the parchment paper. Cool completely before frosting.
For the chocolate filling:
Step 1: Heat heavy cream and half-and-half until very hot in a microwave. Add in chocolate and butter; stir until smooth.
Step 2: Assemble the cake. Place the bottom cake layer on the serving plate, and spread about 1/4 of the chocolate filling.
Place the second layer of cake on top and spread with another 1/4 of the chocolate filling. Repeat with a third cake layer.
Step 3: Add the remainder of the chocolate filling over the entire cake, and frost the sides and top of the cake with buttercream frosting (recipe below). Garnish with cherries.
Nutrition Facts Of Black Forest Cake Recipe Masterchef
- Calories: 494
- Fat: 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 9.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 67.6 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 4.9 g
- Sugar: 57.0 g
- Cholesterol: 89 mg
- Iron: 1.7 mg
8 Amazing Serving Ideas Of Black Forest Cake Recipe Masterchef
1. Use a bread knife to cut the cake into slices instead of a serrated knife which may crush the cake.
2. Dust with cocoa powder and serve with whipped cream and fresh raspberries or blueberries if available.
3. Make tiramisu out of it by layering it with coffee-soaked ladyfingers, coffee liqueur, and mascarpone cheese. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before enjoying.
4. Serve it for breakfast, topped with a dollop of cream and fresh fruit and chocolate shavings or cinnamon sugar almonds if desired.
5. Dress with a vanilla glaze and garnish with grated chocolate or serve simply with fresh berries.
6. Cover it entirely in meringue, pipe it onto the cake in curls, rolling them around the cake. Let it set before cutting it into slices for dessert or a show-stopping dessert presentation.
7. Garnish it with whipped cream, chocolate shavings, or grated chocolate for a crowd-pleasing dessert.
8. Serve in ice cream cones, truffles, or chocolate cups for your sweet tooth!
What Is The Difference Between Chocolate Cake And Black Forest Cake?
Chocolate cake is any cake that uses chocolate for flavoring but is not necessarily chocolate in color. Chocolate cake may be light brown or dark brown.
On the other hand, Black forest cake is a dark chocolate dessert with a hint of cherry and almond flavors.
What fruit is traditionally used in black forest cake?
Traditionally, the primary fruit used in a black forest cake is cherries, but other fruits such as apples, peaches, apricots, and berries are also used.
What Is The Black Cake Trend?
The trend is to change the usual chocolate cake flavor into something more natural and healthy, using no chemical enhancers.
The goal is to make your body feel good because the ingredients used are naturally good for you rather than turning to chemical enhancers that may not be real food.
Is Black Forest Cake Healthy?
Like most desserts, Black forest cake is not healthy the way it is served. It’s a dessert, after all. However, if you cut the pieces into small portions and eat them with fruits, you can make them healthier.
Is Black Forest Cake Gluten Free?
The main ingredients in this cake are flour, chocolate, and milk. Thus, if these are prepared in a wheat-free environment and are free of any gluten-containing ingredient, this cake will be gluten-free.
This black forest cake recipe Masterchef is easy to make, and the result is a delicious, moist cake with moist cherries. This cake has no less than ten variations and can be used to decorate any celebration.
The batter is simple and requires no baking experience at all. Remember not to over-mix it for it to have the right texture.
It takes some time to bake this cake, so you may need an extra hour if you are in a hurry. If you like this recipe, then don’t forget to rate it.
How much does it cost to make a Black Forest cake?
It’s not easy to answer because ingredients and food costs would differ in every area. Depending on the country and location, it may cost you $5 per cake.
What are the best fillings for Black Forest cake?
The best filling for black forest cake is chocolate ganache, whipped cream, or crème fraîche. You can also try adding fresh berries or nuts as fillings for a delicious dessert.
Can I Keep Freeze?
You can keep this cake in the freezer for up to 3 months, but frosting must be added and served while it’s still fresh.