A vanilla swiss roll cake recipe is a type of vanilla cake with a custard cream filling in the middle, making it easy to roll. The cake is said to have originated in Switzerland hence the name.
It is made using ingredients that are widely available in these regions. The cake has a layer of custard cream filling in the middle, making it easy to roll.
The batter comprises only four ingredients, eggs, flour, sugar, and vanilla extract with no butter or oil.
The vanilla extract is then added. Finally, sifted flour is poured into the mixture, and it is beaten again on a medium speed until smooth and creamy.
How To Prepare Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake Recipe
Serving Size: 24 people
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 10×15-inch jelly roll pan and line with parchment paper.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they start to form stiff peaks. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar until the egg whites are glossy and hold stiff peaks.
4. In another large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar until the mixture is pale and thick. Beat in the milk and vanilla extract.
5. Gradually fold the dry ingredients into the egg yolk mixture.
6. Using a spatula, fold in the egg white mixture until everything is well combined.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared jelly roll pan, and spread it out evenly.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
9. While the cake is still hot, carefully remove it from the pan by flipping it onto a clean kitchen towel.
10. Peel off the parchment paper and roll the cake up with the towel, starting from the shorter side. Leave it to cool completely.
11. To make the filling, beat the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
12. Once the cake has cooled, unroll it carefully and spread the whipped cream mixture over the cake.
13. Roll the cake back up, and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Enjoy your delicious Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake!
Nutrition Facts Of Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake Recipe
1. With Chocolate Custard:
Heat some milk in a small pan and pour it into the filling to make a chocolate custard instead of vanilla custard.
Add dark chocolate pieces to give it a great flavor and taste. Roll up and serve with custard cream.
2. With Strawberry Custard
Add a few strawberry pieces to the vanilla custard, giving it a great taste that all your family and friends will love.
3. With Fresh Fruit Custard
Add blueberries, raspberries, or gooseberries to make a deliciously sweet filling that goes well with the vanilla swiss roll cake recipe. You can even try peaches, plums, or other seasonal fruits.
4. With Cheese Custard
Instead of vanilla custard, you can make cheese custard to roll up in your swiss roll cake recipe.
Cheese custard is baked in an oven at the same temperature as the swiss roll cake and will give you a similar taste to the vanilla swiss roll cake recipe.
5. With Coconut Custard
In the middle of your vanilla swiss roll cake recipe, add some coconut pieces to make it look beautiful and with a great taste. This variation will make it look more appealing to kids.
Can Be Stored In The Freezer?
It is best to store your prepared vanilla swiss roll cake recipe in the refrigerator. It should be kept at room temperature because of the custard filling and stay good for 3–4 days.
You can also make it in advance, freeze and then keep it in the freezer until you need it. It will stay good for up to 2 months, provided you eat it within the first week.
How To Freeze Vanilla Swiss Roll Cake Recipe?
1. Wrap the vanilla swiss roll cake recipe with aluminum foil or cling film to prevent damage from air and moisture.
2. Make sure that the cake is well-wrapped so it does not get damaged.
3. Place it in an airtight box or container and freeze it for up to 2 months without any problem.
4. When it is time to eat the cake again, defrost it in the refrigerator overnight.
5. When it is completely defrosted, take it out of the box, place it on a cookie sheet, and then place it in an oven at 190-200 degrees Fahrenheit (87-93 degrees Celsius).
6. Bake until the cake is completely thawed and warm.
This cake has no side effects and is completely safe to eat. It is prepared with just four ingredients, all of which are natural.
It also tastes great and is easy to make a recipe if you want to surprise your kids or friends with a special cake.
If you want a simple but delicious dessert, this swiss roll cake recipe is one of the best ones you can get.