If you love cake, then this is the recipe for you. A vanilla cake with chocolate frosting sounds like the perfect match because it’s amazingly delicious!
Even if your birthday isn’t until next week, why not bake this today and try a new treat? The best part about these two flavours is that they don’t overpower each other.
You can enjoy both vanilla and chocolate without getting a sugar crash! You can also make this recipe with the chocolate cake if you prefer chocolate over vanilla.
The recipe is the same. You won’t need a cake mixer or fancy tools to bake this dessert; just a standard box of cake mix, and you’re good to go! It’s pretty simple, too.
How To Prepare Vanilla Cake Recipe With Chocolate Frosting?
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 9
For The cake:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract (split into half)
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter at room temperature, plus more for greasing the pans,
- 3 large eggs at room temperature,
- 1 cup of whole milk (not skim)
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter for the frosting
For The Frosting:
- 1/2 and 1/2 cup of unsalted butter at room temperature,
- 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar at room temperature,
- 3-4 tablespoons of cocoa powder at room temperature,
- 12 chocolate chip cookies (cut into small pieces and melted)
Instructions Step By Step:
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans with unsalted butter.
Step 2: Whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt in a medium bowl.
Step 3: Use a hand mixer to cream the butter and sugar for about 5 minutes in a separate large bowl.
Step 4: In a small bowl, use another hand mixer to beat the eggs and vanilla extract on high speed until they are light yellow in colour and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
Step 5: Add a third of the eggs to the butter. Mix for about 30 seconds on low speed and then turn it up to high for 1 minute. Repeat with another third and then with the final third.
Step 6: Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk. Always start and end with the flour and milk mixture, respectively.
Step 7: Put aside 1/4 cup of milk in a separate bowl.
Step 8: Pour the cake batter into your prepared pans and bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Step 9: For the frosting, use the same bowl. Put aside 1/4 cup of cocoa powder in another small bowl. Add 1/2 cup of unsalted butter to the large mixing bowl and beat until light yellow.
Step 10: Alternate adding the 1/2 cup of unsalted butter with the remaining 1/2 cup of unsalted butter and then with the rest of your confectioners’ sugar.
Step 11: Add 3-4 tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the frosting is stiff enough to what you need.
Step 12: After removing the cake cubes from their pans, put them into a large bowl. Pour your melted chocolate chip cookie pieces on top and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Step 13: To finish the cake, remove it from your fridge and preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Step 14: Use a knife or toothpick to make small holes in the top of each cake round. Fill up with your frosting and spread evenly over each cake, just like I did here! You could even give them a swirl for some fun effects.
- Calories: 498
- Protein: 8.4g
- Carbohydrates: 67.1g
- Fibres: 2.7g
- Sugar: 58.3g
- Cholesterol: 47.2mg
- Sodium: 155.1mg
- Potassium: 134mg
- Total Fat: 22.18g
How To Make The Best Chocolate Frosting?
To make the best chocolate frosting, use a bowl to combine unsalted butter and cocoa powder in an electric mixer. Cream the mixture together for 5 minutes until you achieve a smooth consistency.
Add confectioner’s sugar and mix until combined. Add chocolate chips and mix again. Don’t forget to refrigerate your frosting until chilled before using it.
Use whatever frosting recipe you prefer, such as my chocolate buttercream or classic vanilla buttercream. If you prefer a different type of frosting, make the recipe as indicated in the step above.
Expert Baking Tips For Vanilla Cake With Chocolate Frosting:
1. Use cake mix: This simple recipe is best made with a boxed cake mix. If you have time, you can always make your cake from scratch by using your favourite recipe.
2. Use whole milk: Whole milk helps make the cake’s texture moister. Don’t use skim milk if you prefer a moister cake!
3. Separate your eggs: Separating egg yolks and whites are always best when baking because it helps them come out lighter, fluffier and more beautiful.
4. Beat the mixture: Beating your eggs, butter and sugar mixture helps make the cake more fluffy and adds in air.
5. Mix well: Don’t skip this step. Mixing your egg and sugar mixture well will ensure that your cake bakes evenly and comes out beautifully.
6. Use room temperature ingredients: Room temperature ingredients are best because they come together easier and give off more air during the mixing stage. This process is called aerating.
7. Bake at the right temperature: Always check your oven’s temperature. If it’s too hot, the outside of your cake may burn before the inside is ready. If it’s too cold, your cake will bake more slowly, so check on it often!
8. Serve with a dollop of frosting: This is optional but highly recommended. You can never have enough frosting 😉
Can You Use Vegetable Oil For Vanilla Cake?
In this recipe, you can use vegetable oil instead of butter or shortening. Cake made with shortening usually has a lighter texture than one made with butter. If a recipe calls for shortening, feel free to use vegetable oil in its place.
What Is A Substitute For Sour Cream In The Chocolate Frosting?
Sour cream can be used as a substitute for buttermilk in this recipe. To make the sour cream frosting, add sour cream to your classic vanilla buttercream recipe and mix well.
Making a vanilla cake with chocolate frosting is easy, fun and a great way to kick off any meal or celebration. Be sure to store your frosted cake in the fridge until you are ready to serve. You’ll love this recipe because it is so simple!
I hope you try this recipe as soon as possible. If you do, please comment below with your feedback and rating so that I know how I am doing. Enjoy! Making a vanilla cake with chocolate frosting is simple and fun.