The peter paul mounds cake recipe is flaky coconut-filled chocolate sheet cake, served with whipped cream and a cherry.
This is a classic cake with a long tradition of making the rounds at parties and family gatherings.
How To Prepare Peter Paul Mounds Cake Recipe?
- Stand Mixer,
- Square Baking Pan
For the cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Sweetened shredded coconut for topping
- Whole almonds for topping
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract to the dry ingredients, and mix until well combined.
- Gradually stir in the hot water, mixing until the batter is smooth and well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish, and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges of the cake and carefully remove it from the pan. Let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter in a mixing bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Add the cocoa powder, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and salt to the mixing bowl, and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle sweetened shredded coconut on top of the frosting.
- Place whole almonds on top of the coconut, spacing them out evenly.
Serve your delicious Peter Paul Mounds Cake and enjoy!
Nutrition Value Of Peter Paul Mounds Cake Recipe
1. Pecan Praline Mounds Cake
Pecan praline mounds cake with cherry topping: add pecan pralines and a cherry to the peter paul mounds recipe.
Chocolate praline mounds cake: combine chocolate wafer crumbs, cocoa powder, butter, heavy cream, and coconut flakes. Use 1/2 cup of pecan pralines instead of cherries in the peter paul mounds recipe.
2. Raspberry Mounds Cake
Add raspberry jam between layers of the peter paul mounds recipe, and then top the cake with the whipped cream. Adding a layer of raspberry preserves to the brownie batter before baking makes a great addition to the peter paul mounds cake recipe.
3. Lemon Mounds Cake
Add lemon zest to the peter paul mounds recipe and then top it with whipped cream mixed with lemon juice, powdered sugar, and any remaining lemon zest.
4. Black Forest Mounds Cake
Add nutmeg and heavy cream to the peter paul mounds recipe and bake it at 350F (177c) for an additional 20 minutes.
5. Pecan Mounds Cake
Add pecan pralines to the batter before baking it, which gives a nice flavor to this famous confection. Add to the whipped cream after pouring it on top of the brownie before serving.
Can You Eat Peter Paul Mounds Cake Recipe?
Yes, it is safe to eat the peter paul Mound recipe. It is easy to prepare and can be stored in the fridge for several days before consumption.
This recipe’s nutritional value is high and contains essential vitamins and nutrients that can contribute to your overall health.
Can Peter Paul Mounds Cake Recipe Be Frozen?
Yes, it can be frozen. Peter paul Mound’s recipe can be prepared in advance and then frozen.
To do so, prepare the peter paul mounds recipe as instructed and transfer it to a freezer-friendly container. Please place it in the freezer for up to a month before consuming it.
How To Freeze Peter Paul Mounds Cake Recipe?
1. Place it in the freezer for up to a month before consuming it.
2. To defrost it, remove it from the container and then allow it to defrost for several hours in the fridge.
3. Once defrosted, allow it to warm to room temperature and place it in the original container.
4. If you want to make the peter paul mounds cake recipe from scratch, make the batter and then freeze it in the containers with a tight-fitting lid or plastic bag for up to one month.
5. To defrost it, remove it from the container and then allow it to defrost for an hour or two.
How Long Will It Take To Prepare?
This recipe will take around 45 minutes to prepare. However, you can reduce your preparation time by preparing the peter paul mound recipe in advance and then freezing it.
There are a lot of variations of the original peter paul mounds recipe. These variations are common in each part of the U.S.
They all work great as a cake and are topped with whipped cream. Instead of cherries, you can use other fruits like figs, pineapple, or peaches in this recipe.