This is a mini king cake recipe traditionally served to kings and queens in some French-speaking countries, though it also appears in desserts such as a soufflé.
It is called petit chaton, or “little cat,” because of the whiskers on the pineapple on top of it. This cake’s beauty lies in its simplicity which spells success every time.
The cake is an all-butter cake recipe with a little added vanilla extract. Making it is easy and doesn’t require special equipment other than a springform pan.
You don’t have to be royal to enjoy one, as the flavor is lovely, even if you aren’t a king or queen.
The recipe calls for baking the mini king cake for about 45 minutes in a preheated 325F oven, and it serves nine people when filled with fruit.
How To Prepare Of mini King Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serving: 9 people
- Springform Pan,
- Cheese Grater,
- Medium-Sized Mixing Bowl,
- 8-Cup Oven-Safe Container,
- Large mixing bowl with cover
Ingredients for the Dough:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup warm milk (around 110°F or 43°C)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
Ingredients for the Cinnamon Filling:
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Ingredients for the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Purple, green, and yellow sprinkles for decoration
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, yeast, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the warm milk, melted butter, and eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5-7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place it in a greased bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, prepare the cinnamon filling by combining the brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and melted butter in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down to release any air bubbles. Turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Divide the dough into small portions and shape each portion into a small ball, about the size of a golf ball.
- Take one dough ball at a time and use your fingers to flatten it into a small circle. Place a teaspoon of the cinnamon filling in the center of the circle.
- Fold the edges of the dough circle over the filling and pinch them together to seal, forming a small ball. Repeat this process with the remaining dough balls and filling.
- Place the filled dough balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing them a few inches apart.
- Cover the baking sheet with a clean kitchen towel and let the mini king cakes rise for another 30-45 minutes, until they have puffed up.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake the mini king cakes in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- Remove the mini king cakes from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
- While the cakes are cooling, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth and well combined.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled mini king cakes and immediately sprinkle them with purple, green, and yellow sprinkles.
- Let the glaze set before serving.
Nutrition Facts Of Mini King Cake Recipe
- Calories: 340
- Total Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 170mg
- Sodium: 310mg
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 16g
What Is King Cake Traditionally Served With?
Traditionally, king cake is served alongside coffee and tea in the morning. It is also a great dessert to have with roasted turkey or game.
You can enjoy several recipes this cake with, such as blueberries and lemon curd, apricot preserves, and almond paste filling.
These recipes are very good in making this cake very tasty and healthy.
What Is The Traditional Flavor Of King Cake?
The traditional flavor of king cake is praline cream filling. Pralines cream is a mixture of eggs, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and butter.
How Can You Make A King Cake Healthier?
King cake can be fresher and healthier by substituting half the traditional filling with a low-sugar version, such as mandarin orange or passion fruit.
Also, due to the dry nature of king cake, you can substitute all butter or margarine with egg whites to lighten it up.
When Should You Eat King Cakes?
Several traditions surround king cakes. Some believe that eating one is lucky from birth or when you have a baby, while others think eating one on your wedding day is good luck.
Still, others say a king cake will help bring peace and prosperity to families celebrating it during the holidays.
Can You Make Mini King Cake Recipe Without Eggs?
Of course, you can make a mini king cake recipe without eggs. Use egg whites instead of whole eggs as an alternative to regular eggs.
Since egg whites contain less liquid than whole eggs and are not as dense, weigh the egg whites or measure by volume if necessary to ensure accurate measurements.
Can You Freeze Small King Cake Recipe?
Yes, you can freeze it for up to 2 months. Wrap the prepared cake in plastic wrap, then store it in a freezer bag or airtight container.
To serve, thaw at room temperature for about 2 hours before serving.
The mini king cake recipe is easy to make, and you will discover that this fabulous treat is also delicious.
It’s a traditional cake enjoyed in New Orleans for many years and has become popular in many other countries regarding holidays.
When planning your next holiday feast, including a small king cake on the dessert table.