Hey there, fellow foodies! Today, I am thrilled to share with you my personal take on a delightful treat that will transport you straight to the heart of New Orleans – the Mini King Cake Recipe.
This smaller version of the iconic Mardi Gras dessert is perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a festive celebration or simply a sweet indulgence.
So, let’s get started and bring a taste of the Big Easy into your kitchen!
How To Prepare Of mini King Cake Recipe?
Preparation: 20 minutes
Rising: 1 hour 30 minutes
Baking: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Yield: 12 mini king cakes
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Pastry brush
- Small plastic baby (optional)
- Colored sugar (purple, green, and gold) for decoration
Dash Stand Mixer (Electric Mixer for Everyday Use)
For the dough:
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 packet (2 ¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
For the filling:
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare the Dough: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Mix well.
- Warm the Milk: In a small saucepan, heat the milk over low heat until it reaches around 110°F (43°C). Remove from heat.
- Combine the Ingredients: Pour the warm milk, melted butter, and eggs into the dry ingredients. Mix until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the Dough: Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5-7 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- First Rise: Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm spot for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Prepare the Filling: In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon for the filling.
- Shape the Mini King Cakes: Punch down the risen dough and divide it into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball and flatten it into a small circle. Spread a teaspoon of softened butter on each circle and sprinkle with the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture. Fold the dough over the filling, pinch the edges to seal, and roll it into a log.
- Second Rise: Place the shaped mini king cakes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with a kitchen towel and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the Oven: Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake the Mini King Cakes: Once the mini king cakes have risen, bake them in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly.
- Prepare the Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth and drizzle-like consistency.
- Decorate the Mini King Cakes: Using a pastry brush, generously brush the glaze over the warm mini king cakes. Sprinkle colored sugar on top, alternating between purple, green, and gold.
Nutrition Facts Of Mini King Cake Recipe
- Calories: 340
- Total Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 170mg
- Sodium: 310mg
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 16g
What Is King Cake Traditionally Served With?
Traditionally, king cake is served alongside coffee and tea in the morning. It is also a great dessert to have with roasted turkey or game.
You can enjoy several recipes this cake with, such as blueberries and lemon curd, apricot preserves, and almond paste filling.
These recipes are very good in making this cake very tasty and healthy.
Wilton Colored Sugars
What Is The Traditional Flavor Of King Cake?
The traditional flavor of king cake is praline cream filling. Pralines cream is a mixture of eggs, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and butter.
How Can You Make A King Cake Healthier?
King cake can be fresher and healthier by substituting half the traditional filling with a low-sugar version, such as mandarin orange or passion fruit.
Also, due to the dry nature of king cake, you can substitute all butter or margarine with egg whites to lighten it up.
Can You Make Mini King Cake Recipe Without Eggs?
Of course, you can make a mini king cake recipe without eggs. Use egg whites instead of whole eggs as an alternative to regular eggs.
Aluminum Commercial Baker’s Half Sheet
Since egg whites contain less liquid than whole eggs and are not as dense, weigh the egg whites or measure by volume if necessary to ensure accurate measurements.
Can I Make The Dough Ahead Of Time?
Absolutely! You can prepare the dough in advance, let it rise for the first time, and then refrigerate it overnight. The next day, proceed with shaping, rising, and baking as instructed.
Can I Freeze The Mini King Cakes?
Yes, you can freeze the baked mini king cakes. Once they have cooled completely, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and place them in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Thaw at room temperature when ready to enjoy.
There you have it, folks – my personal take on the Mini King Cake recipe! These adorable treats are bursting with flavor, and each bite is like a carnival in your mouth.
Whether you’re celebrating Mardi Gras or simply craving a taste of New Orleans, this recipe is sure to impress.
So gather your ingredients, follow the steps, and indulge in these mini delights that will transport you to the vibrant streets of the Big Easy. Enjoy!