The lemon poke cake recipe is a delicious, moist cake typically made with a Duncan Hines cake mix. This particular poke cake recipe calls for lemon extract instead of vanilla extract and has the additional step of adding poppy seeds to the batter.
Poke cakes can be frosted or left unfrosted, depending on your preference. This cake can be made with various cake mixes in different flavor combinations.
This recipe is easy to follow, and the cake keeps well for up to two weeks. This poke cake is moist and delicious, perfect for anyone to enjoy on a warm summer day.
How To Prepare Lemon Poke Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- Cake Pan,
- Serving Platter,
Ingredients For Lemon Poke Cake Recipe:
- One box of Duncan Hines Lemon Cake Mix is in a white plastic bowl.
- 1 cup poppy seeds
- Two eggs, beaten
- 4 cups of lemon juice
- Six tablespoons of lemon extract (instead of vanilla)
- 1 4 oz can crushed pineapple, drained and rind removed.
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions For Lemon Poke Cake Recipe:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour an 8x4x3″ loaf pan.
2. Combine the dry cake mix, poppy seeds, and eggs in a large bowl.
3. Stir in the lemon juice, extract, and pineapple until well blended. Stir in the walnuts. Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the center of the cake comes out clean.
5. Cool in pan for about five minutes. Remove from pan and place on a serving platter. Poke holes with a knife or fork all over the top of the cake.
6. Pour lemon juice over the top of the cake. It runs into the holes.
7. Allow cooling entirely before serving.
8. Store covered at room temperature for up to one week or in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
9. To freeze, let cool completely, then wrap in aluminum foil, place in a zipper bag, and store in the freezer for up to a month.
Nutrition Facts Of Lemon Poke Cake Recipe
8 Amazing Serving Ideas For Lemon Poke Cake Recipe
1. Serve With A Fruit Salad.
2. Serve warm, drizzled with caramel sauce and chopped pecans for a delicious fall dessert.
3. Make mini-loaves and freeze them for up to one month for quick brown-bag lunches or dinners for one or two people.
4. Cut into small cubes and turn into lemon shortbread cookies by adding melted butter, powdered sugar, and lemon juice to the batter in step 3 above.
5. Drizzle with chocolate syrup, chopped nuts, and graham cracker crumbs for a pie-like dessert.
6. Serve with whipped cream topping and strawberries for a delicious, light dessert.
7. Serve topped with homemade lemon curd and whipped cream frosting.
8. Drizzle with melted White Chocolate, chopped nuts, and toasted coconut for one of the most popular desserts.
Why Is It Called Poke Cake?
This cake is named for the poke that you make in it. Poke cakes are typically made with a Duncan Hines cake mix.
Instead of using vanilla extract, some people use the lemon extract to give the cake an extra citrus taste.
There are wide varieties of poke cakes; sometimes, you add spices or nuts. Poke cakes have a special place in American history.
They were first served at the White House during Lincoln’s presidency, but if you look back at how poke cakes were initially made, they were not nearly as popular back then.
Do You Have To Keep A Poke Cake In The Fridge?
Poke cakes are best kept in the refrigerator. Poke cakes contain eggs and dairy products, two ingredients that must be refrigerated for longer life and freshness.
Poke cakes contain various flavors and lemons, which will go wrong if left out at room temperature.
How Long Can You Keep A Poke Cake In The Freezer?
Poke cakes can be frozen for up to one month without changing the cake’s flavor, texture, or quality. Poke cakes can be frozen months before the actual baking process.
Is Lemon Poke Cake Recipe A Good Source Of Nutrition?
Lemon poke cake recipes are not only a delicious dessert but also a nice nutritional punch. Protein and fiber are essential components in all recipes, including poke cake recipes.
A 1-cup serving of yoyrakes 4 grams of protein and 5 grams of dietary fiber, which your body needs to stay healthy and function properly.
Will Cake Spoil If Not Refrigerated?
There is no need to refrigerate a cake unless it contains fresh fruits or vegetables. Cakes with fresh lemon juice, strawberries, blueberries, and other fresh fruits should be refrigerated.
Is It Better To Bake A Cake The Day Before?
Yes, baking a cake the day before is better than baking it the next day. If you bake a cake on Saturday, you need only to refrigerate it overnight and eat it on Sunday.
Cakes that contain fresh fruit and dairy products should not be baked more than one day before serving.
The lemon poke cake recipe is so delicious and easy to prepare you will be amazed. There are so many ways the ingredients can be mixed into this recipe. You can use lemon juice, extracts, or juices from different fruits.
Use a cake mix of your choice or make your own using the information provided here. If you want to enjoy this great recipe for some time, store it in the refrigerator or freezer.
You can slice it up and add some strawberries and whipped cream to top it off.