A traditional British breakfast item, the lemon curd cake recipe is traditionally a tart cake made with a moist sponge for the base, and then it’s filled with lemon curd.
It’s simple to make, and the process is even more straightforward once you know how. The recipe below is for a cake with lemon curd filling.
To make a lemon curd tart, you must bake the cake in a tart tin, as advised above. It can be eaten plain or used as a filling in sandwiches.
It’s great to use leftover lemon curd or make an exciting dessert.
How To Prepare Lemon Curd Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 8
- 6in (15cm) round tart tin,
- sieved dessert plate
Ingredients For Lemon Curd Cake Recipe:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup lemon curd
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Fresh berries for garnish (optional)
How To Make
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
- Add the lemon zest and lemon curd to the butter mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk and vanilla extract. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges of the cake and carefully remove it from the pan. Let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once the cake has cooled, spread a layer of lemon curd on top.
- Garnish with fresh berries, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Of Lemon Curd Cake Recipe
- Calories: 241
- Fat: 8.7g
- Carbohydrates: 34.9g
- Protein: 6.8g
- Sodium: 142.4mg
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 24.9g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Calcium: 119.7mg
What Does Curd Do In A Cake?
Curd is a moistened whey that has been developed from cream and used as a filling for cakes and tarts.
It coagulates the protein in vegetables or cow’s milk with acid. You can get curd from homemade or commercial sources.
What Is The Difference Between Lemon Curd And Lemon?
Lemon curd and lemon are both a type of fruit juice jam. Lemon curd is made by heating strained lemon juice until it thickens
and using cornstarch to thicken the mixture to make it into a spreadable consistency. Lemon juice is heated with some lemon rind until it becomes thick.
Lemon rind is the zest of the lemons that have been dried by salting without heating.
Why Should We Not Mix Salt In Curd?
Salt is added to the curd to increase the flavor of the curd. Salt can have a dehydrating effect on the body. Therefore it’s wiser not to add too much salt when making lemon curd.
This is a straightforward lemon curd cake recipe. You can play with it to your taste. I love my lemon curd in my homemade scones and pound cake, but this will stay as a tasty comfort food for me.
Can you freeze lemon curd cake?
Yes, you can freeze it for up to 3 months. Cover the cake with tin foil and add it to a freezer bag.