Haitian black cake recipe is a rich, flavorful, dense cake you might find at your Latin American bakery. It is made with molasses, coconut, and cream cheese.
It has a chocolate coating which makes it an indulgent chocolate dessert. Haitians love it with coffee or tea and whipped cream on top.
Haitian black cake makes an excellent dessert, but it is also used as a filling and sandwich filling.
How To Prepare Haitian Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 3
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup raisins (optional)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in the vanilla extract.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk. Start and end with the dry ingredients, mixing well after each addition. Be careful not to overmix.
6. If using raisins and walnuts, fold them into the batter until evenly distributed.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
10. Once the cake has cooled, you can optionally frost it with your favorite icing or sprinkle powdered sugar on top.
11. Slice and serve the delicious Haitian cake!
Note: This recipe is a basic version of Haitian cake. There are variations that include ingredients like grated coconut or dried fruits. Feel free to customize the recipe according to your preferences.
Nutrition Facts Of Haitian Cake Recipe
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
Is This Recipe Gluten Free?
Yes, it is gluten free. This recipe does not contain any gluten rich ingredients. The only thing that could cause a problem for people with celiac disease is the boiled yolks in this recipe.
However, most people will not react to this recipe since yolks are usually eaten by themselves due to their high cholesterol content and the protein within.
Is Haitian Cake Recipe Delicious?
This recipe tastes delicious. The original recipe calls for a lot of butter and eggs, which give it a rich flavor.
This makes the Haitian cake taste different from other cakes, which usually contain leavening agents in baking powder or baking soda.
In this recipe, it is left out to give it a rich taste and a fluffy texture.
How To Freeze Haitian Cake Recipe?
1. First, place the cake on a plate you can use for serving.
2. Cover the cake with cling film to keep it fresh before freezing.
3. Place it in the freezer for 3 hours or until frozen completely.
4. After frozen, you can transfer it to an airtight container and keep it in your freezer for up to 6 months.
Why Do People Eat This Recipe?
People eat this recipe because of the rich flavor that is contained in it. It has a thick, moist, and smooth texture and taste. It also contains fiber, which can keep the digestive system healthy.
Also, the iron found in this recipe helps improve any iron deficiencies that you might be having in your diet.
How To Make With More Delicious?
1. You can make it with less sugar by replacing the sugar with nutritional yeast. This ingredient can be found in powdered form in any local supermarket.
2. Replace the white sugar with brown sugar. This will give it a darker taste and a chewy texture, which is quite similar to the taste and texture of bread when it is baked up.
3. You can replace the butter with nutritional yeast. This ingredient is also available in the supermarket, giving the cake a similar texture to baked bread.
4. You can replace oil with coconut oil. This ingredient can be found in the supermarket in jars or bottles. It has a similar texture to butter but is not foamy like normal butter when it is melted.
5. To make it vegan, add 2 tablespoons of vegan protein powder in place of eggs.
It has a rich and satisfying taste and texture, which many people love. The recipe will also give you the energy boost you need after a meal.
Moving fluidly. Also, it contains high amounts of vitamin A, which helps reduce any swelling related to pregnancy and prevent night blindness.