The boudin king cake recipe originated in ancient Greece, where a circular loaf of bread called a “circa” was given to honor Dionysus, the Supreme God of the Vine. This loaf was made with wheat flour, honey, anise, and other ingredients.
Today’s version is more like a brioche – sweet dough filled with cream cheese frosting and topped with colorful sprinkles. This cake is a small round yeast-leavened dough heavily dusted with powdered sugar.
It is baked in a large round pan for about an hour, then cut into rectangles and decorated by hand. The recipe has several variations, but it usually contains cream cheese or fruit filling and is decorated with colored sprinkles.
How To Prepare Boudin King Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
Serving Size: 8 servings
- Baking pan
- Electric mixer
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- 2/3 cups (150 g) fresh yeast (or one packet of dry yeast)
- 2 cups (400 g) bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 2 teaspoons egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (115 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions By Boudin King Cake Recipe:
Step 1: Place the sugar, egg yolks, 1/3 cup (80 ml) warm water, and 1 teaspoon of active dry yeast. Mix well to make a paste.
Step 2: Let it stand until the yeast is dissolved. The egg yolk will become liquid and turn into a slightly oily mixture.
Step 3: In a separate bowl, sift together the flour [bread flour, or all-purpose flour], salt, and baking powder. Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and use a spoon to mix it in.
Add another 1/3 cup (80 ml) of water if needed. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until smooth.
Step 4: Place the dough on a floured working surface and knead it for 10 minutes until smooth. Place the dough in an oiled bowl and roll it lightly to coat with oil.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise in a relatively warm place (about 70 F) for at least 2 hours until it doubles in size.
Step 5: Punch the dough and knead it briefly to remove any air bubbles. The dough will have a slightly moist texture. Press the dough flat, place it in an 8-inch (20 cm) baking pan, cover, and let it rise for another hour.
Step 6: Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Lightly beat the egg and brush to the surface. Bake the cake for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
Step 7: Prepare cream cheese filling while the bread is in a hot oven and all steam rises. Mix cream cheese with sugar until creamy and smooth at room temperature.
Step 8: Fill the ready bread with cream cheese filling and decorate it with colored sprinkles. Serve warm or chilled.
Nutrition Facts Of Boudin King Cake Recipe
Best 5 Freezing Ideas For Boudin King Cake Recipe
1. Baked boudin kings recipe can be frozen for up to a month. Wrap each one separately in plastic and freeze them. If the boudin king is cut, wrap the pieces of it individually before freezing.
2. If you want to freeze the cream cheese filling, fill each boudin king with part of it and leave the rest at room temperature until serving time. Wrap them individually in plastic and freeze them.
3. The boudin king cake recipe can be frozen and then thawed. Let it rise at room temperature overnight. Then preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and let it bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
4. Allow the cakes to cool completely before freezing them, or wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze them well-wrapped for up to a month.
5. If you do not have a pan for baking, wrap each boudin king in plastic wrap and freeze it so it can be reheated later.
6. Boudin king cakes recipe can be frozen by slicing the cake, wrapping each section with plastic wrap, and then freezing them. Return unused portions of bread slices to the freezer when they become defrosted.
7. If you do not want to bake the bread yourself, you can use store bought frozen boudin packages instead of making your bread dough.
Health Benefits Of Boudin King Cake Recipe
1. Baked boudin kings have a sweet taste and are rich in energy.
2. Sugar gives your body all the energy it needs, and it can make you feel more awake and alert. But the sugar content of boudin king cake is pretty high,
so people who have diabetes or like to keep a low-sugar diet may want to stay away from this dessert.
3. Baked boudin kings recipe are rich in sodium, which has many health benefits like helping the body balance its electrolytes and fluids. It is also the main mineral needed for nerve function, muscle contraction, and blood pressure regulation.
4. Protein is an essential nutrient that helps build proteins in your body and makes you grow bigger. People who exercise or work out can use extra protein because it is an important energy source.
5. Fiber helps your body absorb impurities found in the food you eat. It also lowers cholesterol levels and helps prevent heart disease and diabetes.
Is Boudin King Cake Recipe God For Health?
The boudin king cake recipe is healthy and has no side effects. People making boudin king cake at home can make this dessert at their convenience. You do not have to worry about the sugar level because it has one of the lowest sugar content among other desserts.
Eating such desserts can reduce your weight so that you will stay fit for long with no side effects.
Is It Safe For Children?
You can use this recipe as a gift for your children. They will have a lovely meal and get their favorite taste. You can take it differently if you do not want to serve it to the kids.
You can decorate some sweets with sprinkles like chocolate and put them in the boudin king cake.
Boudin King Cake Recipe Safe For Diabetics Patients?
Yes, the boudin king cake recipe is safe for diabetic patients. It contains more than enough amount of protein and fiber in it. But the sugar level is higher than the daily recommended intake, so you should consume it just on special occasions.
Have Any Side Effects To Eating Boudin King Cake Recipe?
No, the boudin king cake recipe does not have any side effects. This is a very healthy dessert that can make you healthy. You should not worry about the sugar levels because the sugar level of this main ingredient is low.
People who have diabetes or have blood sugar problems can try this dessert as it is rich in fiber and protein.
Can Boudin King Cake Recipe Be Stored In The Freezer?
Yes, you can store the boudin king cake recipe in the freezer. Just wrap each slice of bread with plastic wrap individually and freeze it. When you need it again, defrost it in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
You can store other ingredients separately in an airtight container or zip-lock bag until you are ready to use them.
How To Freeze Boudin King Cake Recipe?
1. Allow the bread to cool completely at room temperature.
2. Wrap each slice of bread individually in plastic wrap, then place them in a freezer-safe bag. To freeze multiple slices, order pizza dough or refrigerated crescent roll dough to cover them if necessary, and use freezer bags to bundle the dough-wrapped slices.
Freeze at least a month, but up to 6 months (if frozen after freezing) – thaw before serving.
How Long Will It Take To Prepare?
It will not take much time to prepare the boudin king cake recipe. If you use refrigerated crescent roll dough, it takes only 30 minutes to bake the boudin king cake. Most of the steps can be finished in less than 30 minutes.
If you use homemade bread dough, you will need at least 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Boudin king cake recipe is a traditional Louisiana dish. It is widely eaten in the United States. Different versions of this dish are eaten during different seasons or festivals. Baked boudin kings are a popular Louisiana treat.
They can be served as desserts or appetizers when eating with other people.
Can you fry boudin on the stove?
Yes, you can fry boudin over the stove in a skillet. It might not be as tasty as frying it in lard or other fat, but it will still be good.
How much is a boudin king cake?
The cost of a king cake can depend on where you live, but it’s typically less than USD 20. However, some king cakes can be quite expensive. The cost depends on the designer.