Belizean Johnny Cake Recipe, Belize, the traditional dish known as johnny cake, can be found on almost every breakfast table. Traditionally made with cornmeal and coconut milk,
this savory pancake gets its name from the Taino Indian word “honey pancake. Belizean johnny cakes are made with cornmeal, flour, sugar, and a few other ingredients that vary depending on your liking.
Depending on the time of day, they can be served with any toppings. They are often eaten with jam and butter or just butter at breakfast.
At dinner, they are served with freshly grilled fish pieces. Some call them corn meal pancakes, a staple of East Indian-Laded dishes in Belize.
- 1 How To Prepare Belizean Johnny Cake Recipe?
- 2 Nutrition Facts Of Belizean Johnny Cake Recipe
- 3 Excellent 7 Health Benefits Of Belizean Johnny Cake Recipe
- 4 What Is The Difference Between Johnny Cakes And Hoe Cakes?
- 5 What’s The Difference Between Johnny Cake And Cornbread?
- 6 What Country Eats Johnny Cakes?
- 7 How To Store Belizean Johnny Cake Recipe?
- 8 Where Can You Buy Belizean Johnny Cake Recipe?
- 9 Conclusion
How To Prepare Belizean Johnny Cake Recipe?
Preparation Time: 7 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Serving Size: 4
- Mixing bowl,
- Chopping board,
- Chef’s knife,
Ingredients For Belizean Johnny Cake Recipe:
- One scoop of cornmeal,
- 1 ½ scoop of flour,
- Three tablespoons of sugar,
- 1 cup of coconut milk,
- 1 cup of water.
- One teaspoon of oil,
- 3-4 cloves of garlic,
- One chopped onion.
Method For Preparing Belizean Johnny Cake Recipe:
Step 1: Add the oil, sugar, and chopped onions to a saucepan and put on medium heat.
Step 2: As the onions cook, grate the coconut until you get 1 cup of coconut milk.
Step 3: Put aside one tablespoon of flour in step 8.
Step 4: Add the cornmeal and flour to a bowl, then add the sugar and a pinch of salt.
Step 5: Add the coconut milk and mix well to obtain a smooth and clean batter.
Step 6: Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil to the mixture.
Step 7: Add the cornmeal mixture. Make sure you do not add too much flour, or it will become too thick, meaning it won’t flow correctly when you make pancakes.
Step 8: When it begins to bubble and cook, put it on medium heat for about 15 minutes or until you see it turning brown. This is how pancakes should look like.
Step 9: When it reaches the desired color, remove it from heat and put it aside for about 10-15 minutes.
Step 10: After the time has passed, add the remaining flour and mix well to eliminate any lump in the batter.
Step 11: Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then pour on a hot skillet and cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute or until bubbles appear on top of the pancake. Serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Facts Of Belizean Johnny Cake Recipe
- Calories: 32
- Fat: 3.7g,
- Saturated fat: 1.1g,
- Total fat: 6.8g,
- Saturated fat: 2.6g,
- Cholesterol: 0mg,
- Sodium: 322mg,
- Carbohydrates: 1g,
- Fiber: 0.7g,
- Protein: 0.
Excellent 7 Health Benefits Of Belizean Johnny Cake Recipe
1. Belizean johnny cake recipe is high in protein, moderate fat, and low carb. This will ensure your body receives a lot of nutrition and good fat.
2. Belizean johnny cake recipe can be used as a source of fiber to improve digestive health and also help promote regular bowel movement.
3. It is very high in B vitamins that are required for the proper functioning of the nervous system, including brain health and memory.
4. Belizean johnny cake recipe is very high in calcium, which is needed to keep the teeth and bones healthy.
5. Belizean johnny cake recipe will significantly increase the metabolism rate of your body.
6. The high protein content in the belizean johnny cake recipe will ensure that your muscles are well-fed, giving you more energy to perform daily activities.
7. This recipe is also very high in potassium, which is good for the heart and helps moderate blood pressure.
What Is The Difference Between Johnny Cakes And Hoe Cakes?
Johnny cakes are a type of sweetened dough, usually fried in fat, made in the southern United States. The dough is usually very thick, unlike a hoe cake.
This term is also used to denote pancakes. In the 19th century and into the early 20th century, Jonnycake referred to a variety of cornmeal-based slices of bread or cakes cooked on an open fire or in a fireplace, as opposed to baking in an oven.
What’s The Difference Between Johnny Cake And Cornbread?
Johnny cakes and cornbread are two different types of bread with minor differences. The Johnnycake can either be plain or have added ingredients like cinnamon, nutmeg, or cloves.
Cornbread is made with brown or white cornmeal, while Johnny’s cake is made with only yellow cornmeal.
Cornbread is usually served warmly with butter or honey while the Johnny cake is served at breakfast with jam and butter.
What Country Eats Johnny Cakes?
Johnny cakes are a delicacy in the United States and Jamaica, although they are not a dish that everyone is familiar with in other countries. Because of their name, they are also known as Johnny cakes.
Johnny cakes are also trendy on the Caribbean islands because of their high caloric content and great taste.
How To Store Belizean Johnny Cake Recipe?
The Johnnycake can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. If you are not going to use the Johnny cake, it is best to store it in the refrigerator as soon as possible after preparing it.
Where Can You Buy Belizean Johnny Cake Recipe?
Finding Belizean johnny cake outside Belize may be challenging because it is rarely sold commercially.
That does not mean that there is no way for you to enjoy this delicious piece of bread, though.
The Belizean johnny cake recipe is a delicious and easy-to-prepare dish cherished dearly in Belize. It can be served alone or with various other dishes, such as fried chicken or roasted fish.
The cake is also very healthy and contains nutrients that are great for the body, so you can indulge in this dish without the guilt.